Four years after the armory opened, even before the black militia returned from the Spanish-American War, the city agreed to convert the armory into a school for “colored” kids. Monroe Elementary opened in September 1899 with 418 elementary students and 8 teachers. Students who performed exceptionally well were placed on the honor roll and were encouraged by having their names published in the Richmond Planet.