The Grand Opening of the armory was celebrated with a twelve-day “Military Bazaar,” beginning October 21. Advertisements in the Richmond Planet told of “New and Bright Attractions each Night” including “refreshments in abundance, bicycles for raffle, exhibition drills, and literary and musical entertainment.” Such was the pride in the new armory that Jackson Ward residents were treated night after night with banquets, speeches, drill exhibitions and dances.  In 1895, after more than twenty years, Virginia’s black soldiers had an armory to call their own. The crenelated towers on Leigh Street began their long watch over the rooftops of Jackson Ward.